+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1995 Honda Civic CX won't start.

Default 1995 Honda Civic CX won't start.

Well sense we don't have a honda section I thaught I would put this in the Dodge section because I am trying to stop having to drive the dodge everyday.

Some background. The clutch and water pump when in my civic so while I had the engine out I replaced the rings and bearings so the entire engine was apart. I very carefully put everything back together and then attempted the first start. No go. So I started checking my work. Double checked TDC timing and verified that I was getting spark and fuel to the fuel rail. Everything seems fine. I then realized that the cylinders are still dry with no fuel after a few attempts to start. It seems that the fuel injectors are not firing. I have checked all the injectors and they are receiving 12 volts with the key on and resistance across them is within speck however they are not spitting fuel when cranking.

Any help with what to look at and test next would be greatly appreciated I don't want to fail at my first rebuild because I can't get the darn thing started. Thanks in advance.

Jake
    Jake
    DD- 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab Sport 5.7 Hemi
    '86 CJ7 258 T-5 Dana 300 4:1 Twin Stick, 32 x 11.5. Work in Progress.
    '81 CJ8, Parts all over the garage.

no luck yet?
    Originally Posted by TheYeti1775
    ..so simple even Blair can do it

Checked the injectors and the fuel pressure and all are working and within spec. I think I am off a few teeth with the timing belt. Going to pull it and try and set the timing again and see what happens, had it trying to start the other day but still haven't had much luck.
    Jake

I just did my daughters timing belt on her Mazda 626 twin cam. I have no envy of having to do it on a Honda and wish I could give you more advise than "atta boy".

Hope it's a simple fix (well relatively speaking) and you can get it going.

Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by iaffcj View Post
    checked the injectors and the fuel pressure and all are working and within spec. I think i am off a few teeth with the timing belt. Going to pull it and try and set the timing again and see what happens, had it trying to start the other day but still haven't had much luck.
    its an interference motor
    Be careful bumping it out of time, it can severely increase your difficulty trying to start it.
    Is the ECU working ? Dash have proper lighting? They are tied together.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexxj90 View Post
    its an interference motor
    From what I understand the d15b8 is a noninterference motor i know most of the other Honda engines are interference but i don't think this one is. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but I figured it out this afternoon. Turns out you should actually read rather than look at the diagrams. turns out the firing order diagram was wrong in my Haynes Manuel. If I had read earlier I would have seen that i was totally wrong. After adjusting the wires I got it started. I was still out of time as I could not get enough adjustment to get me to 12 deg BTDC. I was one tooth off on the timing belt. Fixed that now i am dead nuts on timing.

Now it starts right up and I took it for a drive to seat the rings and all seems to be good. Have about 6 miles on the rebuild. Gona take it for a good run tomorrow to see if I feel comfortable running it to work.
    Jake

Awesome, always great when it works out. That timing and plug order is a bish huh?

Just found out I had 2 cylinders crossed on the CJ7 for about 3 or 4 years. And to boot the timing was off about 4 degrees. I thought it was running decent too.

Now with all six cylinders firing, it's really running good now!

Congrats on the fix.

+ Reply to Thread