+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chevy mud truck

Default Chevy mud truck

Hey everyone. I'm a new guy here. I figured I'd start out by showing you guys what I have. I'm into doing mud bogs than anything else. Though, I do like going out on some trails from time to time.

I'll make this initial post explaining some of the history and what all was done to the truck up to the end of last season. Then I'll make a reply with the winter project outlines and photos.

Anyway, my truck is a 1975 Chevy K20 that was bought brand new by my grandfather. It's been in the family since. I don't have any pictures on hand of it in its stock form. In the late 90's my father took ownership of the truck. He pulled the rusting cab off and replaced it with an 80's C10 (2wd) cab. He installed a 3'' body lift at that time on the truck because the 2wd cab didn't have a large enough tunnel in the floor to clear the 4wd drive train. Later in its life, my cousin took over the title. That's when it got a 6'' suspension lift, 35'' BFG Mud Terrains and a flat black paint job. He kept it for some years until I took the truck in on a trade for my street/strip 1987 S-10 Blazer.

This is the way it started out when I first took it over.

Not long after that, I installed an old push bumper with some KC Daylighter on it.

It was in pretty desperate need of some new paint. So, I painted it with some paint that my dad had laying around; New Holand yellow.

After learning the truck in the mud bogs held here near Charles Town, WV... I also learned where my truck needed some improvements. I did 3 successful mud bogs and brought home trophies from 2. I new that I needed to at least get some better tires. So, I ordered up a set of 38.5x15 Super Swamper Boggers.

Soon, while running the truck around on the street it was apparent that the larger tires had knocked down some of my power. So, I gathered up some parts that I had laying around and ordered up a camshaft. In the process I also ditched the heavy push bumper and put the tube bumper back on that my cousin had made. I also trimmed out the back sides of the front fenders where the tires were close to rubbing when I had the steering turned fully.

Two weekends ago, I got the truck out on some local trails for a test trial. The truck did amazing. The Boggers throw out globs of mud the size of my forearm. The minor engine upgrade seems to have done good things for the power, as I didn't have any trouble spinning the tired up. Here is from that weekend.

That brings us to now. I have one week left to button things up for the first mud bog of the season in Berryville, VA. I just need to figure out a way to hang my front mud flap on the tube bumper or frame, mount my fire extinguisher to the floor board and just clean the truck up some. I also want to go ahead and remove the tool box out of the bed since I really don't use it, and it's just dead weight.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy.

Wow! Nice truck. I don't think my TJ with its 1/2 horsepower I-6 would get very far thru the mud ha ha ha. Would be fun to watch someone else try it though.
    Why am I the only one without a cool Chiggapuss signature??

http://www.youtube.com/user/ddubya7

Nice lookin truck!!! I love that body style.
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD, Bilstein 5100s up front, 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts

1989 YJ "Project Nightmare" parked in the garage waiting for me to get motivated to replace the frame

1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe new daily driver

BOD - Treasurer/Membership Frankpapa's Avatar

The color and the Tonka sign are a riot. Come on out to some B4WD events and get acquainted.
    Frank
    It takes a village and some cookies

ALL HAIL THE GIFT!

Hot hot hot! Love the truck.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Tonka... haha... Shortly after I got it painted I was filling up at a local gas station when I over heard a young boy tell his father "Daddy, look at the Tonka truck!". I found it fitting and thought, "What the hell?". Away to the sign shop I went.

I would love to attend a B4WD gathering. With mud bogs taking up 1 to 2 weekends a month and the others either being spent out playing music (my other passion) or with the family, it kind of locks me down some. If I get the moment available, I will do all in my power to come out. I'll also keep the events forum posted with the upcoming mud bogs (if that's cool) so if anyone's in the area they can say "hey".

+ Reply to Thread